In a series of news releases, notices, and FAQs, the IRS has begun to issue guidance on the various employer payroll tax credits and payment deferrals enacted by the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (the ?Ç£FFCRA?Ç¥) and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the ?Ç£CARES Act?Ç¥). Links to the guidance are below, and more detailed information on the employee benefits, compensation, and employment tax provisions of the FFCRA and CARES Act can be found on our blog here.
FFCRA Tax Credits:
- News Release: Implementation of Paid Leave and Tax Credits under the FFCRA.
- FAQs: COVID-19-Related Tax Credits for Required Paid Leave Provided by Small and Midsize Businesses.
- Notice 2020-21: Effective Date for Employment Tax Credits under the FFCRA.
CARES Act Tax Relief:
- News Release: Employee Retention Credit.
- FAQs: Employee Retention Tax Credit under the CARES Act.
- Notice 2020-22: Relief from Penalty for Failure to Deposit Employment Taxes.
Forms and Instructions:
- Form 7200: Advance Payment of Employer Credits Due to COVID-19.
- Instructions for Form 7200.
- Form 941: Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return.
- Instructions for Form 941.